One of the main problems with alcoholism is that a lot of people may not realize that they even have a drinking problem. You may not even drink a lot of alcohol when you drink, Or you might go for days or weeks between drinking. But even if you don’t drink very often, it is still very much possible that you may be abusing alcohol and are at risk of becoming addicted to it. Here are some signs of alcoholism that could indicate you may have or be on your way to a problem with alcohol.
Signs of Alcoholism – Mental Dependence
The thing with Alcoholism is a lot of people tend to think that you can only have a problem with alcohol when you are physically dependent on it. That’s not the case here are some Signs of Alcoholism that may suggest you have a mental dependence on alcohol.
- Obsessive drinking – One of the more common signs of alcoholism, This is when you tend to drink more than you mean to when you drink. Also if you find that you are drinking quite often and you keep drinking even if you find yourself having relationship or legal problems.
- Drinking to cope – This is one of the stronger Signs of alcoholism. If You are drinking on a regular basis to cope with stress or strong emotions this can relate to the previous sign, maybe you are drinking to cope with relationship or legal problems. Although it may feel like its helping you, in the long run this will do you no good.
- Effecting your day to day life – This is where alcohol starts to effect your day to day life. You Start to have problems at work or school because of your drinking for example being late or not even going at all. This could even be the cause of your legal problems, because of your drinking you may start to get into trouble such as being arrested for harming someone or driving while drunk (intoxicated)
- Daily Routine – Drinking may become of your daily routine, You start to make a ritual of drinking at certain times and you get annoyed or aggravated when this routine is disturbed or questioned
- Feeling of Guilt -You may be making excuses for your drinking or doing things to hide your drinking, for example buying alcohol from different stores so nobody picks up on what you doing. This is because you feel guilty about your drinking. It is possible you don’t want to disappoint someone or perhaps you are aware of the problem but you don’t want to address the issue.
- Lack of enthusiasm – This tends to be one of the first signs of alcoholism, You start to lack enthusiasm towards things that don’t involve drinking. You are neglecting responsibilities at home, work or school and You have given up activities or hobbies you used to enjoy because of alcohol.
These are some signs of alcoholism that you may need to take into account when it comes to your drinking. If you have any of these signs they could be an indication that you have, or are on your way to a mental dependence on alcohol
Signs of alcoholism – Physical Dependence
Physical Dependence is an indicator of the stronger signs of alcoholism, this is when your body has become more dependent on alcohol and you may begin to show physical signs of alcoholism. Here are some signs of alcoholism that may indicate you are suffering from a physical dependence of alcohol.
- Physical changes – This is where your body begins to show signs of alcoholism, You may start to show physical signs such as a sore or upset stomach, redness of the nose and cheeks or even weight loss. This is your body responding to the physical effects of the alcohol abuse.
- Tolerance to alcohol – When you abuse alcohol, just like anything your body beings to build a tolerance to it. The signs of this are quite easy to spot, You may notice how you need to drink more for the alcohol to have the same effect of what you used to get.
- Withdrawal symptoms – Drinking enough alcohol can have an effect to where your body cant cope without alcohol. If you do try and stop drinking your body starts to show withdrawal symptoms such as sweating, shaking, anxiety and even feeling sick.
- Drinking to feel better – When your body has a physical dependence on alcohol, You may start to feel the need to drink or become drunk intentionally to be able to feel better or feel “normal”. You may spend a lot of time drinking and recovering from what feels like you are sick.
These signs of alcoholism are a strong indicator that you may be physically dependent upon alcohol. If you realize that you have to drink larger amounts than what you used to and any of these signs are represent your current situation you could already have or be well on your way to developing a physical dependence.
What to Do if You Can’t Quit Drinking?
By now It may have become clear that you have lost or are losing control of your drinking. If that’s the case you need to be aware that the ability to stop drinking lies with you, you need to make a commitment to yourself and being to start a new life that doesn’t involve drinking so much. It’s not important that you label yourself an alcoholic,
Whats important is that you look for a way to get beat the urge to base your life around drinking before it destroys your career, your relationships and most importantly your health.
Here at Our Mind And Body we recommend looking at the Alcohol Free Forever program, It was created for people in your situation. Keeping in mind that It will not only help you understand why you drink the way you do by getting right to the root of the problem. It also teaches you step by step instructions to get past cravings and overcome your compulsion to drink too much.
To learn more about this program check out our article How to quit drinking – Alcohol Free Forever Review